Animal Care Attendant - ACA1 - 318 - Alberni
POSITION: Animal Care Attendant – ACA1
JOB TYPE: Casual, on-call
CLOSING DATE: September 15, 2019 (midnight EDT)
Please make sure to include your resume and cover letter together as one document to complete your application. When applying please state your availability in your cover letter as shifts may consist of Weekdays, Weekends, and Statutory Holidays.
Join the team! Our Alberni-Clayoquot Branch is looking for casual/on-call Animal Care Attendants with the flexibility to cover shifts on short notice – including weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays.
Reporting to the Branch Manager, you bring energy and enthusiasm to a team environment while you will participate in all animal care duties and ensure that optimal levels of care are administered to the animals based on the Five Freedoms. You are an energetic team player, with good customer service skills. You also have as a minimum a basic knowledge of animals and animal welfare. You care deeply about animals and uphold the highest animal care standards.
What you will do:
• To maintain the entire physical plant in a clean, sanitary, and efficient manner on an ongoing basis and in a collaborative manner
• To ensure kennels, runs, and cat cages are kept in a manner that is best suited for the animal’s health and welfare as per the ShelterSense protocols
• To monitor the health and welfare of the animals through the maintenance of up-to-date kennel cards, recording information on whiteboard and daily logs, and completing daily welfare sheets
• To maintain animals on a proper diet ensuring daily feeding, watering, exercise, and enrichment
• To perform general bathing and grooming of animals
• To treat animals humanely, with compassion and concern, and in a manner consistent with the BC SPCA’s five freedoms
• To perform other duties as assigned
You will have:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License
• Strong desire to provide excellent customer service skills: patience, professional, positive attitude, attention to detail, adaptability
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
• Resourceful team player who excels at building trusting relationships with colleagues, customers and volunteers
• Highly motivated self-starter who takes initiative with minimal supervision
• A sound knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and common diseases
• Previous kennel or animal care experience will be considered an asset
• Demonstrable interest in all aspects of animal welfare
• Position is physically demanding and includes heavy lifting, pushing and pulling which requires an individual with the ability to maintain a level of fitness and endurance to fulfill the required duties
• Computer experience: Windows, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
• The animals in our care require attention seven days a week, must be flexible and able to work weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays
If you are interested in joining our Alberni-Clayoquot team and are legally entitled to work in Canada, we would like to hear from you. Click on apply now.
We welcome diversity, value differences, and foster inclusion in our employment practices. We invite applications from all qualified individuals who are philosophically aligned with our mission and guiding principles.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA, however; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $15.50
- Required Education High School
- 4936 Broughton St, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 8R5, Canada