Head of Global Health Programs
CARE helps women and girls in developing countries lift themselves and their families out of poverty and out of crisis.
We bring people together to end inequality. Not just for one person, but a whole community. Not just for now, but for a lifetime and across generations. We develop solutions with women and girls and their communities to tackle the big issues facing them like climate change, economic empowerment, food security and emergency relief in times of crisis or disaster.
CARE Canada is currently seeking a Head of Global Health Programs.
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. programs create local solutions to poverty and inequalityThese solutions have a broad range, from improving basic maternal and sexual reproductive health and education, ensuring everyone has nutritious food, access to clean water and sanitation, to developing equal economic opportunities and helping vulnerable people adapt to climate change and provide lifesaving assistance during emergencies.
CARE Canada is seeking a Head of Global Health Programs within the to provide leadership, vision and strategic direction to CARE's Canada’s programming in Global Health, which encompasses CARE’s Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights and Nutrition programs (approx $12m annual spend). She/he will manage a team of Program Managers and Program Officers to support CARE Country Offices to effectively implement high quality programs aligned to the CARE 2020 program strategy, aiming and advocating for a feminist transformative approach to programming.
This position requires an individual who is a proven strategic thinker and people leader at a senior level, who is comfortable managing a team of diverse individuals in a matrixed management environment, and cultivating a positive and empowered work culture based on the core values of CARE Canada. The Head of Programs must also have a thorough understanding of Government of Canada funding mechanisms (grants and contribution agreements), as well as ability to build networks with external and internal stakeholders.
- The Head of Program will be ultimately accountable for the technical and program quality and timely implementation of CARE Canada programs in their assigned portfolio, ensuring the team meet high quality standards, apply best practices in project cycle and financial management, effectively liaise with key donors, and adhere to donor compliance and CARE policies.
- He/She will be the main technical lead for Global Health, Sexual Reproductive Health & Rights (SRHR) and Nutrition, responsible for thought leadership and driving CARE Canada’s strategic direction in Global Health ensuring this is well aligned to the CARE Canada Strategic Plan. A critical part of this will be working in collaboration with the Partnership for Global Change business development team to provide technical input and leadership to help mobilize resources and ensure high quality proposals for Global Health programs. In addition, they are responsible for building and maintaining strategic partnerships, including government relations, and setting advocacy/policy positions.
- The role will work in collaboration with the Head of Programs in Women’s Economic Empowerment, Humanitarian and Food Systems & Resilience to ensure strong program development, implementation and learning linkages and programming leadership across the humanitarian / development nexus and position CARE Canada as an organization fit for purpose for the future.
- Finally, the position will coordinate or lead CARE Canada’s representation and liaison with CARE International, Canadian partners, multilateral partners and various government desks in their area of technical expertise. With other CARE Canada staff, the Heads of Program will ensure the cross sectoral and geographical collaboration across CARE Canada and CARE International.
- Promote and maintain an organizational culture that advances gender equality, reduces power abuse and inequalities, and fosters trust and safety.
- Create an environment within CARE's workplaces, programming, and communities where CARE works, which is free from sexual harassment, sexual abuse and sexual exploitation and child abuse (SHEA-CA).
- Ensure high standards of prevention and response measures for SHEA-CA are in place consistent with the CARE International (CI) Policy on PSEA-CP and CI Performance Standards.
What you offer:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, SRHR, International Development or in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Significant senior management experience in providing overall strategic and technical leadership in the design and implementation of global health programs and budgets, including a significant portion of this experience gained in the Global South within an International NGO or similar organization
- Comprehensive technical and practical experience of Global Health in programming: SRHR, nutrition, maternal, child and newborn health; knowledge/understanding of health equity and economic and social determinants of health; understanding of current and emerging global health issues
- A keen appreciation of data use for learning and improvement. Experience monitoring, evaluating and applying learning from programs, and disseminating and scaling up evidence-based best practices and models in Global Health programming
- High level of demonstrable leadership and strategic management skills - including setting ambitious goals and managing, leading and coaching multi-disciplinary teams to achieve them
- Ability to build and maintain positive and equal working partnerships with stakeholders, in particular country offices, partners, local organizations, donors, and government officials; and the ability to support direct reports to do the same
- Staff development: ability to develop team performance with a clear aptitude and experience applying coaching and mentoring approaches to drive teams towards achieving results
- Excellent representational skills, including communication and advocacy, particularly in the areas of the CARE Program Strategy – Global Health, Food Nutrition Security, Climate Change, Women’s Economic Empowerment, and Humanitarian action.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills are essential
- Experience and willingness to travel to and work in insecure environments
What would make you extraordinary (Assets):
- Ability to effectively work in French is highly desirable
- Master’s degree or PhD in Public Health, SRHR, International Development or in a related field.
- Previous experience managing complex Global Affairs Canada funding, including Results Based Management.
- Another key language (Spanish or Arabic) is desirable
What we offer:
- Generous leave entitlements, including December holiday closure
- Full benefits: dental, medical, vision care, paramedical, life insurance (some exceptions may apply) and professional and confidential Employee Assistance Program services
- International travel opportunities
- Learning and development opportunities, and specialised training
- Flexible work hours and a work from home policy
- A family friendly environment
- Free parking, access to public transportation
- Onsite BBQ and shower facilities
- Pay Type Salary
- Ottawa, ON, Canada