Producer, Global National (BC)-National News Vancouver
It’s a great time to join Canada’s powerhouse of news, as we carve a path into a bright new future. Global News provides Canadians from coast to coast a host of news and information – from breaking news in their community to deep engaging content that puts complex world issues in perspective. We leverage the strength of Corus Entertainment Inc., and our powerful combination of media assets positions us as an entertainment destination choice for consumers – a proudly Canadian company that nurtures a diverse range of Canadian voices and choices.
Division: Global National
Work Status: Part-Time Irregular
Location: Burnaby, BC
About the Role:
Global National is looking for a Part-Time Irregular News Producer to join Global's award winning flagship national newscast.Reporting to the Executive Producer of Global National, the successful candidate will be hired for shifts on an as-needed basis, including weekend work, and will be responsible for developing and producing news content for Global National and Global affiliates. This is a Group 4 position under the current collective agreement.
· Strong control room skills, including ability to produce a newscast and make the final call on rundown decisions in a live broadcast;
· Recognizing, chasing and delivering news content to all platforms;
· Writing and vetting compelling, accurate news copy, including story leads, bumpers and promos;
· Maintaining quality control of on-air content;
· Developing news rundowns;
· Developing creative ways to deliver news content;
· Assignment of stories, cameras and reporters, in liaison with the news desk;
· Order/build full frame graphics;
· Communicate breaking or changing news situations with online, show producers and anchors;
· Create news content using desktop editing systems;
· Monitoring all news sources, including feeds, wires and social media;
· Maintaining Global National's high production standards;
· Other duties as required;
· Position may involve early starts or work on evenings and regular weekends.
What We Need From You:
· Post Secondary Degree, diploma or equivalent experience in television broadcasting;
· Minimum of 5 years TV news production experience;
· At least 2 years of control room experience with proven ability to make fast decisions in a control room environment;
· Working knowledge of ENPS, Mosart and Xpression news production systems;
· Working knowledge of desktop editing, using Stratus/Edius;
· Must have proven strong editorial news judgment, with solid research abilities;
· Strong news writing skills;
· Ability to help develop and train others in writing skills;
· Proven ability to multitask working quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines;
· Demonstrated skills in developing rundowns and program production;
· Demonstrated skills working with graphics and other production elements;
· Familiarity with online content production, writing for the web, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites;
· Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows, as well as learn new skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation;
· Must have excellent people skills with the ability to work independently, effectively, and cooperatively in a team environment;
· Must be willing and able to keep abreast of news stories in off hours;
· Television reporting experience is an asset;
· Strong and proven leadership skills are a must.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family PD-Production
- Job Function 02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type Hourly
- Burnaby, BC, Canada