Software Development Manager - Retail and Commercial Lending
Equitable Bank is Canada's ninth largest independent Schedule I bank, serving Canadians coast to coast. It offers a diverse suite of residential lending, commercial lending and savings solutions, including high-interest savings products and GICs. Through its proven branchless approach and customer service focus, Equitable Bank has grown to approximately $25 billion in assets under management. Most recently, Equitable Bank launched a digital banking operation, EQ Bank, and introduced the EQ Bank Savings Plus Account. Equitable Bank currently employs over 600 employees across the country.
Within Equitable Bank's Core Lending business, Single Family Lending Services funds mortgages for owner-occupied and investment properties across Canada, while Commercial Lending Services provides mortgages on a variety of commercial properties on a national basis.Equitable's Securitization Financing business originates and securitizes insured residential mortgages under the Canada Mortgage and Housing ("CMHC") administered National Housing Act.Equitable Bank also offers a range of deposit products including short-term, long-term and Cashable GICs, available in non-registered or Tax Free Savings Account ("TFSA") across Canada. And it offers a High Interest Savings Account, available from authorized investment advisors through the FundServ network.
Equitable Bank is a growing Canadian financial services business and a wholly owned subsidiary of Equitable Group. It was founded in 1970 as The Equitable Trust Company.
Job Title: Software Development Manager – Retail and Commercial Lending
Department: Technology Delivery
Reports To: IT Director
Purpose of Job
Equitable has transformed to a hybrid-agile delivery methodology with cross-functional Pods dedicated to launching new products, features, and ongoing business value for portfolios. The Development Manager requires a mixture of a hands-on development, people management for developers in the delivery Pods, and providing technical leadership to transform our businesses. Our vision is that the Development Manager and their Pod(s) should be empowered and autonomous to drive production changes, with broader support from shared services teams such as Dev Ops & Release Management, Cloud Platforms, Infrastructure/Connectivity, and Security Ops.
The Development Manager is accountable for leading integration and development build activities for a collection of technology systems and projects which primarily support Equitable Bank’s strategic initiatives for our retail and commercial lending portfolio. The Manager will also ensure application currency and availability by leading maintenance and support of platforms. The incumbent will build and grow a team of Technologists, including recruiting, training, and coaching.
Primary responsibilities include leading the design, development, implementation and support of RESTful/SOAP APIs, Java Spring Microservices, Angular web portals and other platform products and integrations. The initial and primary program the Development Manager will be responsible for is an exciting digital platform build to boost efficiencies and effectiveness of our commercial lending businesses. This program is a transformative and strategic build of the Bank’s target state architecture, and utilizes modern technologies including, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Java Spring, Angular JS, and MuleSoft.
- Direct accountability for planning, delivering, and supporting changes to a suite of technology systems and platforms in one or more business and technical domains
- Provide business and technical domain expertise to delivery teams to ensure maximum project scope feasibility and business viability
- Oversee the creation, architecture and maintenance of solution designs based on understanding of business objectives and requirements
- Manage and plan development tasks required to successfully deliver changes
- Conduct and oversee code reviews
- Provide voice-of-technology guidance and support to various business stakeholders in the process of architecture and requirements gathering
- Provide technical expertise and technology investment recommendations for new technologies and application systems
- Champion continuous improvement of Development practices, including processes, automation, and tools. These include Design Patterns, Tech Frameworks / Languages, Source Code Management, Code Reviews, and Release Management for respective technical domain
- Recruit, train and develop a team of Technologists
- Manage resource demand forecasts and ensure resources are continuously aligned with business priorities
- Manage releases, delivery planning and estimation approaches for technology changes and processes related to the delivery of services using both Agile, Waterfall and hybrid approaches
- Provide L2/L3 application support for product incidents of supported applications
- Manage delivery and support from suppliers and vendor partners with support from Enterprise partners and IT Directors
- Min. of 7+ years of experience in leading multiple developers and technologists to deliver and support application systems
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical degree or equivalent experience is required
- 2+ years of hands-on experience building RESTful API solutions and/or Microservices in Financial Services industry
- Technical domain knowledge of software development languages, tools, and patterns are required, specifically a mixture of Java Spring/Springboot, Angular JS, JPA, Maven, SAML, OAuth, OIC, and cloud native development approaches
- Experience with configuration, deployment and testing of enterprise software applications
- Experience with relational database management systems SQL Server, MySQL, T-SQL; Experience with NoSQL and cloud databases are beneficial
- Experience with bug tracking and collaboration software: Jira, Confluence, Zephyr or similar
- Experience with Unit Testing frameworks and tools (Junit, MUnit or TestNG) and source control software (Git, SVN, CVS or similar)
- Self-starter who can take a concept and drive it through to the design and implementation
- Good knowledge of ITIL framework and related support processes for incident management
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Additional Nice to Have Skills:
- Previous experience working with Lending origination and core banking systems such as Portfolio Plus, XRS and Cyberquery
- Previous working experience with Mule ESB or MuleSoft Anypoint Platform is a definitive plus
- Previous experience working with AIX
- Knowledge of PCF (Pivotal Cloud Foundry)
Equitable Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a criminal background check and credit check to qualify for hire. While we appreciate your interest in applying, an Equitable recruiter will only contact leading candidates whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of the position.
- Job Function Reception
- Pay Type Salary
- Equitable Bank, Toronto, Ontario, Canada