Bilingual Commercial Mortgage Underwriter
Equitable Bank is Canada's ninth largest independent Schedule I bank, serving Canadians coast to coast. It offers a diverse suite of residential lending, commercial lending and savings solutions, including high-interest savings products and GICs. Through its proven branchless approach and customer service focus, Equitable Bank has grown to approximately $25 billion in assets under management. Most recently, Equitable Bank launched a digital banking operation, EQ Bank, and introduced the EQ Bank Savings Plus Account. Equitable Bank currently employs over 600 employees across the country.
Within Equitable Bank's Core Lending business, Single Family Lending Services funds mortgages for owner-occupied and investment properties across Canada, while Commercial Lending Services provides mortgages on a variety of commercial properties on a national basis.Equitable's Securitization Financing business originates and securitizes insured residential mortgages under the Canada Mortgage and Housing ("CMHC") administered National Housing Act.Equitable Bank also offers a range of deposit products including short-term, long-term and Cashable GICs, available in non-registered or Tax Free Savings Account ("TFSA") across Canada. And it offers a High Interest Savings Account, available from authorized investment advisors through the FundServ network.
Equitable Bank is a growing Canadian financial services business and a wholly owned subsidiary of Equitable Group. It was founded in 1970 as The Equitable Trust Company.
Job Title: Bilingual Commercial Mortgage Underwriter
Department: Credit and Risk Management
Reports To: Manager, Commercial Credit
Purpose of Job
As part of a growing and dynamic commercial team, the Commercial Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for underwriting CMHC-insured and conventional commercial mortgages. The Underwriter must adhere to established policies and underwriting standards, meeting compliance and control requirements, while finding creative solutions in a timely manner in order to achieve service goals as well as annual target volumes. Additional credit-related and administrative duties are also required, such as reporting and pipeline management, as well as networking with external business partners along with various staff within the Commercial department & other internal departments.
- On a daily basis, the incumbent will analyze and underwrite commercial credit facilities together with additional credit related and administrative duties for all mortgage product types. Attention must be made to ensure that compliance with the company’s established lending guidelines and procedures are followed with recommendations submitted for approval to management. The incumbent is responsible to ensure all lending criteria have been satisfied on deals underwritten and outstanding documentation/conditions, if any, are being met in a timely manner (60%).
- On a daily basis, the incumbent will communicate with external contacts (origination partners) and internal contacts (funders, managers, administrators and commercial mortgage sales staff) to ensure transactions are processed in a timely and efficient manner in order to deliver superior customer service and funding deadlines (20%).
- On a daily basis, the incumbent is responsible for time management of their deal flow in order to meet prescribed deadlines (10%).
- On a monthly basis, the incumbent will be responsible for various administrative and reporting duties required for the department/company which will be relied upon by Senior Management (10%).
- Bilingualism (French/English) is considered a key skill set
- Proficient underwriting skills preferably with a minimum 2 years’ commercial mortgage experience and/or SFR underwriting experience
- Demonstrated service excellence within their field
- Post-secondary education (diploma/degree) preferred , preferably in business or finance
- Good working knowledge of MS Office (primarily Word and Excel)
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong business sense combined with sound technical knowledge of secured lending and factors affecting the commercial mortgage market
- Established organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities
- Good time management skills
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability and desire to attend industry-related events as required
Equitable Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a criminal background check and credit check to qualify for hire. While we appreciate your interest in applying, an Equitable recruiter will only contact leading candidates whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of the position.
- Pay Type Salary
- Equitable Bank, Toronto, Ontario, Canada