Marine Operations - Marine Engineer
At Hornblower Niagara Cruises, we have a team of amazing people who work together to create memorable and lasting experiences for our guests who visit us from all over the world. Our commitment to quality, safety and the environment is reflective in everything that we do! If you are an enthusiastic team player who thrives in a work environment where communication, creativity and cooperation are encouraged, we may just have the opportunity for you!
Hornblower Niagara Cruises is looking for a Marine Engineer!
Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Marine Engineering, the Marine Engineer executes repairs and regular maintenance of our fleet of Transport Canada inspected passenger vessels, floating docks, marine railway, and associated equipment. The Engineer completes daily job assignments and duties and reports on the status of work assignments. As part of the engineering team, the Engineer is responsible for troubleshooting problems as well as designing and implementing solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- as the Engineer on duty, ensures the safe and reliable operation of all vessels, systems, machinery and equipment under his/her care with due regard for the Hornblower Niagara Cruises (HNC) Safety Management System (SMS) and ISO Respect Management System (RMS), the Vessel Security Plan (VSP), proper standards of watchkeeping, and in accordance with practice of good seamanship
- directly supervises the Marine Technicians and Engineering Assistants
- routinely inspects all areas of the vessels, stages, dock, and marine railway for unsafe conditions, and assists in accident investigations and reports
- participates in emergency drills in accordance with Transport Canada regulations, the Safety Management System, and Vessel Security Plan. Participate in safety meetings in conformance with HNC policy, to ensure a routinely efficient and safe conformance with HNC policy, to ensure a routinely efficient and safe operation at all times and the proper use of equipment during any possible emergency
- maintains engineering operations and maintenance logs; paying particular attention to proper recording of incidents and irregularities
- ensures a clean workplace throughout the day, at the beginning and end of shifts
- ensures the safe and efficient operation of the business at all times using all available means
- shall immediately notify the Master of the vessel if any critical system as laid out in the Safety Management System is not functioning
- ensures that all Safety Equipment is present and equipment is inspected to the standards laid out in the Canada Shipping Act
- knows and understands the Operational Procedures laid out in the Safety Management System
- knows and understands the Emergency Procedures as laid out in the Safety Management System
- performs all other duties as assigned
- valid Transport Canada 4th class Marine Engineering certificate (or greater)
- current Marine Basic First Aid (or greater)
- current (within previous two (2) years) Transport Canada approved marine medical
- possess and maintain a current Ontario driver's license and satisfactory driving record
- demonstrated knowledge of diesel engines, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems
- WHMIS for workers in Ontario an asset
- Working at Heights Training an asset
- Fall Arrest Training an asset
- Confined Space Training an asset
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card (or greater) an asset
- candidates, who, in addition to the above, possess specialized skills such as fitting, welding, equipment operating, will be given strong consideration
We welcome all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required No
- 5920 River Rd, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 3K9, Canada